Sunday, July 15, 2007

Ministry Ramblings

Lately, there has been much talk about supporting "Ken & Sherri Dundon, the missionaries". Today, I find myself struggling with my own identity. I'm not any different than most people, really. People, just like me, have "callings" to do things either in the business world or through other ministries altogether. I feel like sometimes people have elevated me to something that I can't possibly live up too. I am human and I am still "in process" with regard to my Christian walk. I make mistakes. I say things I shouldn't, hurt people I don't intend to, don't spend enough time with God when I am sometimes busy. It irks me to death that the one person I am trying to be obedient to and serve is often the person who gets my attention at the end of the day when I have the least to offer, though this is happening less and less. I think that's why it is so important to me that people take us out of the equation with fundraising. Our ministry is not about us! It's about what God is doing in us and through us. Giving to missions isn't even really giving to us! The bigger picture is that you are being asked to be obedient to becoming partners with us in God's work in Costa Rica. The ministry there is His, not ours! In essence, we are fundraising for God! Tonight, we have another presentation. I don't know how many people are coming. I do know this! Today, as I make the last preparations my heart is calling out to God, screaming really, "Father, strip me down! Allow me, by your grace and your mercy to bring you honor and glory in all that I say. Just as your Son came with no reputation, allow those who attend to see that we are nothing without YOU". He does not need any of us, but He allows us to join Him for His purposes.

3 John 1:5&8 "Dear friend, you are doing a good work for God in taking care of the traveling teachers and missionaries who are passing through. So we ourselves should take care of them in order that we may become partners with them in the Lord's work".

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Deep. I have struggled in the past with my own identity, though on the opposite end of the spectrum from you. It's not so much that I'm "Jonathan, the missionary," but rather "Jonathan, the normal guy who goes on mission trips sometimes."

I've since come to the realisation that the only reason I wanted people to acknowledge the fact that I am a missionary is because of pride. It doesn't matter that my name isn't on the church bulletin as one of the missionaries they support, or that I'm not mentioned with the others when Missions Sunday rolls around. God knows who I am. God knows where I'm going. And God is my biggest supporter. He's the only one that matters! :o)

~Jonathan

Nathan said...

Very well said, Sherri. We're looking forward to reading about how your presentation went tonight.