Tuesday, September 29, 2009

It's a pork fat morning!

Yesterday, I finally broke down and bought a package of bacon. We haven't had any in over six months. It costs about $6 in US dollars for a one pound package here and closer to $7 if you want "fancy" bacon such as sodium-free, hickory smoked, etc. Last night we had eggs and bacon for dinner as soon as we got home from the store. This morning, we just finished a family breakfast of the same. We have just enough left to put in the freezer for another family breakfast some time in the future. We denied ourselves as long as we could due to the expense and we are used to that, pretty much. Then, there are some days when you just cannot take it any more. Yesterday, was one of those days. Thank you, Lord, for pigs and for the simplicity of enjoying three pieces of bacon this morning!

1 comment:

Pete In Syracuse said...

I always cook the rest of the bacon and then freeze it, then put the bacon fat in a sealed container in the frig. Then if I want some say bacon and eggs I put a little grease in the pan to cook the egs and when the eggs are close to being done pop the bacon in the skillet to warm it up. Or if the moods strikes me a "BLT" and just put the bacon out and apply to sandwich. It's amazing though how much we treasure the little things when we're not able to get them - I don't think this is an item I can ship down... ;o) but, I'll put on my thinking cap. Any more new on Old Smoky down there (Volcano)?

I love you guys...........pete