Thursday, July 23, 2009

Wednesday's ministry with the Orphan Home, kids accept the Lord!

As with a lot of the things that we do at the camp, there are always "behind the scenes" activities that no one hears about or realizes go on. Here's a picture of Ken, the Grill Master, cooking hot dogs for all of the kids and the entire team of workers! This was a repeat performance from Saturday's ministry at the camp with the orphans, but I forgot to get a picture of him. I wanted to give credit where credit is due! Thank you to my husband, Ken, who cooks the "perfect" hot dog and for making sure all of us got fed on time!
Here is "Willy" the clown, a friend from "God Festival" one of our partnerships! I realized that I have never seen "Willy" without make-up until he came to the camp on Wednesday and I walked right by him not knowing who he was! How embarassing! He is a wonderful Christian with an awesome testimony. He drove over two hours to come and donate his time and bring with him some other volunteers to help us make this day very special for the kids! He played Christian music for the kids, made popcorn and cotton candy, made balloon animals, had a team who did face painting and did some comedy tricks with the kids. They absolutely loved him and he had their full attention!

These are two of the orphan home Mom's who are enjoying their day off. They accompanied the kids to the camp, but once they arrived, we took over their care and treated the Mom's to coffee, special breads and a day to walk around the camp together, talk and just relax. Here they are enjoying some cotton candy!

With 28 kids in all, we had to break them down into smaller, manageable groups to oversee them in the pool. Here are a small group of the younger kids who have swam and are now taking a break to make some foam sun visors!

Here's Heather and one of our Christian neighbor's, Ivan, taking a much needed rest, legs up after helping with ALL of the day's activities. Without Heather and Kyle and some good Christian neighbor's, we would not have been able to watch all these kids ourselves. They too, enjoyed "Willy's" whimsical balloon creations!

Well, I had to have some fun too!!!! The face painting techniques that are used here are really different than at home. I took this picture for my brother, Peter, since I thought it might interest him, my favorite artist! Their face paint is much more of a powder make-up that is applied with sponges and then the actual painting is only done of the lines of detail. Up close when finished the face has a very soft, powder, more like make-up foundation look to it. Of course, here, you can't see the glitter that they have added. This sweet lady was my face painter!
At the close of Wednesday's activities, Lynae sang and shared her testimony with the kids. Ken wrapped it all up with an explanation of the plan of salvation and an invitation to accept the Lord. We had three Youth, (the kids who attended were from ages 4-18), accept the Lord today!
Please continue to pray for them and for us as we follow up with them through our continued ministry at the Orphan Home!

1 comment:

Pete In Syracuse said...

Hey guys-
That is so cool that 3 more souls have been saved for Gods kingdom, what a blessing. It brought joy to my monday morning & tears of joy, for there but the grace of God... Sherri the face painting looked gorgeous in the picture, it must be totally awesome in person. I mean if you say the picture doesn't do it justice it's got to be just "knock it out of the ballpark kind of stuff". The picture of you just pops out & is so stunning, Of course it had to look good because look at the canvas that was used.
Praise God for our spouses they do so much for us, Chef Ken looked like he was in his element at the grill though....Ah were those "Hoffman Hots"? doing the sizzling or a Costa Rican equal? We did a cook out @ the Garofano's on sunday & Mark & Sam were the grill chiefs Sheryl manned everything else it was fun but it would have been funner if we had, had it down there and was part of that fun!
Afterwards we went over to see Mom at St. Camillus she was asleep and we couldn't roust her. Dad was there so we got to talk to him. Mom was leaning over so we decided to put her back into the bed. I picked her up (She's only 103 lbs. now) and she opened her eye's and was awake for 3 minutes didn't say anything but I think I scared the crap out of her by doing the lift and move.
Oh I'm sorry to change directions in a coversation but I haven't gotten anything from your head quarters to send my monthly check to you I'll call Wendy unless you have a different place I should go? I think I'm a month behind now! You know us tight fisted germans have short memories when money is involved... ;o)
Well I'm starting to ramble which means it time to start moving...I love you guys and we're praying the Lord will chase you down with blessings Ga-Lore!!
.............pete