Thursday, July 09, 2009

Ministering to the Orphans and a full day!

This is Kimberly. I found out quickly today that she LOVES to work with beads! It was interesting to see her gently touch the beads and look them over as she carefully "chose" which ones she might use. Very politely, she asked if she could make another bracelet today. She doesn't like to have her picture taken and it is hard to get her to smile. I talked with Kimberly today about not knowing my biological mother and being dropped off at social services and my adoption. That's when this smile crossed her face. Today, I got a big hug when she left and I feel like we made a connection.
This is Onry. After our Bible lesson today he asked if I had anything to color. I happened to bring some Bible story coloring books with me as gifts for our music students today. He was so content to sit alone with me since none of the other music students had arrived yet for their lessons; to color and not have to share the crayons of have anyone to pull his book away from him. He is the sweetest boy.

This is our intern, Lynae. She is teaching Steven to "count" out measures by clapping his hands for "notes" and to stop clapping for "rests". Steven was so embarrassed that I was taking his picture. He beams when he gets to the hold the guitar and strum away.

Here is Luis practicing finger placement with Lynae. Today, they worked on "A" and "D" note finger placements. Music seems to come pretty easily to Luis and he really settles down to enjoy his lesson. We sometimes have a difficult time with him since he is kind of rough around the edges...aren't we all?

This is Daniela. Hmmm...I wonder why I might like her name! She is in the morning classes since she is younger. She's a bit shy, but has a huge, beaming smile. She is a graceful young lady and is new to the orphan home just over the past couple of months. She is just one of those kids that when you see her in a place like this you wonder, "why"? But God knows and in Daniela, I believe He has big plans!
We worked with the children today from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. I had made a commitment to be back at the campground at 3:30 and was late in getting back because we took the bus back. Once there, I helped set up and cook dinner for around 50 Youth Group kids. The American group is still here and today through Saturday morning they are hosting four other local, national, church Youth Groups at the camp. They are all spending the next two nights with the American Youth Group. Heather and Kyle have been at the camp since 9 a.m. working with the small groups as interpreters. They seemed to be having a good time with all the other Youth. They were invited to spend the night at the campground too! It's been a busy day today, but a lot of fun! Days like these I just go to bed at night exhausted, but thankful for the really fun and enjoyable ministry that we often get to be a part of with children and Youth! It makes me so happy!

No comments: