Monday, January 21, 2008

Travel, work, reading

We had a sloth weekend! In other words, we just hung around the house, lying on the couch, sitting in recliners and relaxing. It felt so good! Ken is leaving for Costa Rica in a few days to help with a short-term team down at the camp for two weeks. They will be finishing up the camp kitchen renovation project that was started by another team who just left Costa Rica. When he returns we will be home for a week and then travel up North for training and then to say good-bye to family. The house is officially on the market now. We are both still working our full-time jobs and I have been reading three books. I can't remember my Social Security # or the dates of birth of my four children unless I say them in order, but I can master processing three books at one time...go figure! "Cross-Cultural Conflict" by Duane Elmer is an intense book; one that you read a few chapters and have to put it down and process it for a couple of hours. It's about building relationships for effective ministry. It was recommended by another missionary friend in Teguc, Honduras working with CAM. When I cannot process much more of this book at one time and need a break, I've been reading "On Being a Missionary" by Thomas Hale. Thomas Hale is a missionary physician who has served in Nepal since 1970. This book uses the insights of over one hundred missionary writers in dealing with the problems, struggles and failures that missionaries often face. It's an eye opening book with serious implications and hiliarous ones too! And the last book is "Let the Nations Be Glad, The Supremacy of God in Missions" by John Piper. It's a deep book! Another one you can only absorb so much of at one time and then you just have to put it down! Here's a quote from the book that has really caused a headache for me this week (really stopped me in my tracks and made me think), "Missions is not the ultimate goal of the church. Worship is. Missions exists because worship doesn't". (Passing the bottle of Tylenol).

No comments: