Monday, January 28, 2008

On winning the lost...

I've been sitting on my hands the last couple of weeks at church when I've really wanted to break out in applause as we continue to hear preaching on winning the lost, eternal C.P.R., method changing, but keeping the message the same. But here, I can let my fingers fly! One thing that bothers me about the Great Commission verse i.e. Matthew 28:18-20 is that people most times refer to this as THE reference point in the Bible for winning the lost, yet throughout the Old and New Testaments there are many verses which speak on this subject, too many to list here. Since I've heard some people refer to the Old Testament as just that, old, it is worth pointing out that in all four Gospels Jesus specifically commands us on this topic in the verses mentioned above from Matthew, but also, Mark 16:15, "And then he told them, You are to go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone, everywhere". Luke 24:47, "and that this message of salvation should be taken from Jerusalem to all the nations: There is forgiveness of sins for all who turn to me". John 20:21 "He spoke to them again and said, As the Father has sent me, so I am sending you". Jesus was repetitive. When I was doing a study of Evangelism Explosion I had someone once tell me that evangelism was "not their job. That was the Pastor's" and they cited Ephesians 4:11 "Some of us have been given special ability as apostles; to others he has given the gift of being able to preach well; some have special ability in winning people to Christ, helping them to trust him as their Savior; still others have a gift for caring for God's people as a shephard does this sheep, leading and teaching them in the ways of God". Easy enough to fall back on, but I haven't found a verse yet that says evangelism is solely the Pastor's job or the missionaries or the deacons, you get the point. God came "to seek and to save that which was lost". His sole purpose in coming to earth, dying on the cross, and rising again. I believe He is able to give us all that we lack, whether it is confidence, boldness if we step out in obedience, and in faith, and share with those around us as His spirit leads us just as strongly as I believe that I am saved. Evangelism's basis is not on a gift. It is a command.

No comments: