Monday, September 20, 2010

Not "Big Steve's"

One place we love to go to when we are at home in NC is actually only about three miles from our home. The name of the restaurant is "Big Steve's" and he's located in the Food Lion Plaza at Hwy. 210 and I-40, Exit 319. He specializes in bagels and I really do mean "specializes". They also make The Best chicken salad..."evah"! I love to go there for breakfast and especially when my son-in-law, Brad, takes care of ordering for me. I guess he knows me, probably more because he is married to my daughter, Danielle, and we have similar tastes in food. I always order the croissant sandwich, bacon, egg and cheese and wonder how in the world I am going to finish that! And Brad always adds in a cinnamon-raisin bagel with plain cream cheese for me knowing that's really what I want too. (He did it to me last time I was home too and when we sat down to eat at the breakfast table and I questioned the bagel in addition to the croissant, Brad rolled his eyes, and we both busted out laughing!)

Needless to say, we don't ever get to eat bagels here in Costa Rica because we can't afford them at over more than $1 per bagel, frozen, Lender's bagels. There is a restaurant called, "Bagelman's" here, but it is so far away, about 45 minutes from the house, that we can't justify driving to get a breakfast sandwich there. The other day when reading another missionary blog, I found that she had made some bagels from a recipe she found and posted a link.

Well, they are NOT "Big Steve's", but they are whole wheat and cinnamon-raisin, and they are easy and taste so good! Some days on the mission field, we just thank the Lord for being able to eat something that comes somewhat close to familiar from home.

No comments: