Thursday, September 02, 2010

M.I.A. - Not really!

Some might think we have been missing in action! I have been in a "writing funk" as of late, I think, because I have had so many other things on my mind like, confirmation last evening from the main office that a medical team is coming down at the end of October and the urgent need to begin the team's logistics, the need to write to our supporters and give them an update on the ministry in Costa Rica through the main office, a camp schedule that needs to be prepared for the main office, a financial statement that is complete in a "rough" copy, but now needs to be typed and sent in to the main office, homeschooling the three kids here in Costa Rica and a mound of papers to be corrected for them, painting the other mission house for another missionary arriving one week from today to stay for a year and help us, a mound of thank you cards from our stay in the States and the funeral services; oh...I could go on! Somedays, it feels like I am working "backwards" instead of moving forwards! Ever have that feeling?

We did make it safely back to Costa Rica from the States. After being there for five and a half weeks it was a difficult readjustment to the time changes alone. Costa Rica has no daylight savings time. The States is two hours ahead of us. So, the first two weeks we were home in Costa Rica, I was dragging by 8 or 8:30 p.m. which felt like 10 or 10:30 p.m. I would go to bed around 8:30, but then wake up for a few hours around 2 or 3 a.m. here in Costa Rica. Of course, our little section of the world here wakes up beginning at 4 a.m. and everyone is up at about 5 a.m. So, just about when I would fall back asleep, it was actually time to get back up for the beginning of the day! Needless to say, that torture is over and I am now back on my usual Costa Rican schedule.

There are, of course, dietary adjustments to be made as well. Gone are the Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' Donuts, but on the other hand, we have been consuming more smoothies again made with natural fruit from the camp; bananas, oranges and we add a little bit of liquid strawberry yogurt, and of course, ice. Nothing tastes sweeter or better than one of Ken's homemade smoothies on a hot day! Now, if he could just figure out how to make a Bojangles biscuit :) No, that's a bad idea! We all could stand to drop a few pounds from our visit in the States!

Because our "busy" season here is January through July, and I do mean pretty busy with short-term teams, missionary interns; the house stays pretty clean, but sometimes things don't quite get put away in their proper places in between having people here to do ministry with. This past week I have been doing some "spring" cleaning, even though it is September, of the house. Doing the "low priority, I don't want to do this, somebody shoot-me" type-jobs, like cleaning out and scrubbing the refrigerator and freezer, although I gotta say the end result is pretty nice! With the newest member of the team arriving next Thursday, Amy and her son, Alex, we will hit the ground running when she arrives with getting her set up here in Costa Rica; bank accounts, driver's license, home furnishings to purchase and that will consume a good bit of our time in the coming weeks.

To all of you who prayed for our trip and our safe return. Thank You! Just know we are home here and as you have read, well, we've got plenty to do! I've sorted through some pictures and will begin posts of what we did while in the States in the days ahead since I know inquiring minds want to know! Thanks for praying and for reading, well, I know of at least one person who reads this blog...Love you, Gary (my favorite brother-in-law)

No comments: