Thursday, April 01, 2010

Holy Week: Bread, bread and Buns!

I feel like we've all gained at least five pounds this week! It seems like every day, someone has stopped over with bread which is the custom here in Costa Rica in celebrating Holy Week! My neighbors have been busy all week baking all different types of breads for this weekend, beginning tomorrow, Good Friday, when family members and friends will stop over to visit and celebrate the resurrection! We've been given bread with coconut, dried fruits, and with figs. So good, but so fattening! Even though we've had a group here all week renting the camp; missionaries from all over Central and Latin America; the boys jumped in to help me crank out some "sticky buns" to give as gifts back to the neighbors!

Here's a picture of my handsome helpers! I make the dough from scratch and they know how to do the rest!

Our buns rising!

All done, gooey and warm! The neighbors were so excited to receive these, but more importanly, we (the boys and myself) had a great time together making them!

2 comments:

Helen Stephenson said...

Yummy! That looks great. I've never had anything like that. Maybe you could make some in July so I can try it to see if I like it. I hear you, Sherri,......liar, liar, pants on fire. :) I still think the July idea is good.

Helen Stephenson said...

Did I tell you I need to try these buns in July since I have never had them?