Monday, October 12, 2009

Pray for Floria

When I returned home from my Mom's memorial service in August; on my first Sunday back, a woman at the church greeted me in tears. Her name is Floria and she told me that her mother was declining and was not expected to live long. With the help of Heather, she wanted to express to me her deep condolences on the passing of my mother. I expressed to her that my mother was not suffering any longer and that she was a Christian, and that her passing was better for her. With tears in her eyes she said, "when my mother passes, I want you to be with me".

Tonight, our Pastor called our home and told Kyle to tell us that Floria's mother was passing away and we were to go to the house up in Orosi. We quickly changed our clothes and picked up the Pastor and his wife along the way and went to Floria's home. Ken and I asked the Pastor and his wife to go into the bedroom before us and after a few minutes we were asked to join them there with Floria and her mother who was in bed. Her mother was very fraile and Floria looked exhausted. We prayed together with Floria and her mother, but it was hard for me to hold back tears as I held Floria's hand knowing that so many had just walked this road with me only two and a half months ago. Floria began to cry as I held her hand and I hugged her close.

We spent just a little bit more time in the house visiting and when we left Floria and I hugged each other tightly. I reminded her in Spanish that God is strong and that He would be her strength and comfort during this difficult time. She agreed as tears both streamed down our cheeks. I told her that I loved her and that fewer words were better than many!

Times like these are difficult in ministry with language barriers, but one thing that I do know is that Floria knows and understands that we love and care for her. That is the same in every language. May God use my mother's passing in a powerful way as we try and minister to this family through these difficult hours as Floria's mother's life comes to a close. To our God be the Glory!

1 comment:

Pete In Syracuse said...

You got me cry girl, God is answering a lot of prayers & everything we do doesn't go without God in it. I'll be praying for Floria, her Mom & You too! I love ya Shar.

.............pete