Saturday, August 20, 2011

The "Furlough Bucket List"

Yep, the "Furlough Bucket List" is a no-brainer. This past week I drew a line through one of my "Wanna-do's" on my list and while it was very time consuming, it was for me, rewarding. I present to you my photo's of my pork butt that was dry rubbed, smoked and cooked on our daughter's grill for 7-8 hours. I forgot to take a picture of the slathering sauce that was made homemade and poured over pulled pork sandwiches (we are native NY'ers and this is how we eat our barbecue up there, but we mostly consume and heartily enjoy NC barbecue)!

You might be asking why I went to all the trouble? Pork is expensive in Costa Rica and considered a very high end piece of meat, usually only bought and eaten at Christmas. We don't eat pork in Costa Rica, can't afford it! Another reason is, a childhood memory of my Dad taking our family to a small town near our home in NY to support the Volunteer Firemen's annual barbecue dinner. There, they cooked the meat underground which has always fascinated me, in fact, on my recent visit with my Dad, I asked him tons of questions on this process, which probably drove him nuts like I did when I was a kid! It's always been a "dream" of mine to cook a beef brisket underground, but even though Dad answered all the questions, bless his heart, I'm still a chicken to try it. I haven't been able to find a beef brisket on sale big enough to feed our family while on furlough, but I did find this pork butt, and so following the recipes (for the rub, slathering sauce, and cooking instructions) from my "Dinosaur Barbecue" cookbook, a well known restaurant in our home town up North made famous for their barbecue and now Food Network Famous as featured on the hit show, "Diner's, Drive-In's and Dives"; I dare say, it was delicious!

I may or may not be looking for that brisket on sale. Maybe I'll cook one for the family when we visit up North in October, but mostly I'm happy that I got to finally try it!





No comments: