Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The angels are singing!

Today, we finished all the projects with the team that Ken had on the "list" for us to do. After a 3 p.m. snack, the men cleaned up equipment and got things tidied up around the camp while the ladies headed to the kitchen to cook a spaghetti dinner for 100 men and women at the homeless shelter. At 5:15 we left the camp and made the trip into the Red Zone of San Jose, safely got into the shelter and set up to serve the dinner. Unfortunately, for the second time in three weeks, another church group also showed up and had dinner prepared to serve as well. We called last week and reserved tonight to be able to bring dinner in, and so this was a little frustrating for Ken & I, as many nights the homeless shelter, which operates solely on donations goes without having food for the men, and tonight again they had two dinners. The "new" Director infomed us that this would not happen again. When the residents had gone through the line and been served the Director sent word for our group to come and share their devotional as the group ate. I shared tonight since everyone felt uncomfortable having to work with an interpreter. When I was finished I gave an invitation and two men put their hands up asking for prayer. I asked them if they would mind coming forward and I would get the men that were with me (Norman, Gene, Freddy and Ken)to come back with me to pray for them. When I returned with our men just a minute later, the two men standing there had changed to eight! All the men gathered in a circle and I asked if any had come to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior, and one man said, "yes, I would like to pray for that". The others had very specific prayers and I stepped out of the "Man Circle" and let the men from Hickory Grove take over! I know that the angels are singing tonight and we were all so thankful to have this 1 come to the Lord! Pray that the Lord might work with the seeds that were planted here tonight. I am so thankful that our church group was willing to help us minister in the homeless shelter tonight!

2 comments:

Pete In Syracuse said...

You make me cry with Joy Sis - Praise God !!!

Elle said...

how do I "follow" you???