Saturday, March 21, 2009

Some culture shock and helping.

I've been in Syracuse, NY now for one week supporting my family in the overseeing of my Mom's care in the hospital. Somedays go really well with her eating and others seem a little more slower and trying, but all in all, my Mom is progressing. On Monday, she will have another swallowing study while she is actually eating as they believe it is time to move her up to thinned liquids from pureed. She is still having physical, occupational and speech therapy daily which makes her really tired, but is also improving in that area, as well. Being home with family has been really nice, especially having time with my Dad. He remains in good spirits and encouraged. I enjoy being able to laugh with him! The biggest adjustment for me has been time zone changes and the fact that when I take a shower it feels like I am standing in a car wash OR being hosed down by a fire hose! The showers here are so small compared to our tile ones in Costa Rica where our family could shower together; and I have been dealing with a feeling of claustrophobia every morning. Of course, remembering that it is okay to flush the toilet tissue down the toilet instead of placing it in the bathroom trash can has been an adjustment too! Eating has been a little overwhelming with the amounts of food being offered to me. One thing that I had not planned for was speaking in churches. I have pictures with me on my laptop that are not organized or prepared for slide presentations. Today, I spoke with the women's group at Syracuse Alliance Church, my parents home church. Please pray that some more speaking engagements can be arranged as in recent weeks we have lost $450 in monthly support due to the US economy and our state of support is in a critical state. For now, the plan is for me to stay in Syracuse until April 5th. I will then return to NC to finish up wedding plans. Ken, Heather and Kyle should be arriving in the States on May 6th and we will hit the ground running with tux measurements and clothing adjustments for them! Thanks for your continued prayers for my family and especially my Mom! Edit: Just for the record, "No, our family doesn't shower together"...inquiring minds wanted to know!

No comments: