Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wobbly!!!

Last night I experienced a first! At some time between midnight and 12:15 our dog, Luna, began to bark loud enough that she woke me up. I noticed that the front gate to our home was making a clanging sound. I got out of bed to see who might be trying to enter, but when my feet hit the floor, I had difficulty standing still. I felt unsteady and as though my body was swaying from side to side. I spent most of the day with a terrible migraine headache and knew that my blood pressure was up from the pain in my head. While the headache was gone, I figured I must have gotten out of bed too quickly and was dizzy. The barking of the dog and clanging of the gate had no impact on the rest of the family! Needless to say, in Spanish class this morning I mentioned to Marjorie that I hadn't felt very good last night and explained my apparent "dizzy spell" to which she broke out in laughter! She informed me that we had a 7.0 earthquake in the middle of the night and I wasn't dizzy at all; that's just what it feels like when you are in the middle of one! While it was not any "dish-breaking", "pictures falling from the walls" event, it was about a minute of a constant trembling, but strong enough that I needed to plant my feet apart from each other and lean into our bedroom wall for support! A lot of our neighbors slept through it much like my family, but then some were able to confirm to my family that I wasn't crazy, as they had experienced the same effects! Marjorie says that in December we will feel more frequent tremors and not only did we have Spanish class today, we also had a lesson in earthquake safety! Well, we've mastered the "hurricane" procedures, now it's on to earthquakes :)

No comments: